Skip to main content

If child support agreement is issued in IL then mom moves the child to CA does the IL agreement still stand? can CA modify it?

Yorkville, IL |

my ex gf and i had a court agreement that my child support would be $100/week and $50/week when laid off during the winter, in return, i would agree to let her move to CA with my daughter. After she moved i received a letter that the state of CA was going to be garnishing $125/week from my check. now that i am laid off the state of CA is telling me that i still have to pay $125/week out of my $200/week check. is their anything i can do about this? and how can they do that since we already had an agreement in IL?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. CA can modify it and has jurisdiction now.

    And child support goes on no matter what your job status currently is.

    If you want to modify, hire a CA lawyer.

  2. You now must litigate this case in California. You need to hire local counsel out there. CA is a large state, Where exactly did your ex move, and how do you go about seeing your child?

  3. The other answers are wrong.

    California and Illinois both have a law that determines which states rules in a case like yours. It's the SAME law -- word for word -- in both states. The law says that once a child support order is entered in Illinois, Illinois keeps "continuing exclusive, jurisdiction" :
    Continuing, exclusive jurisdiction to modify child-support order.
    (a) A tribunal of this State that has issued a support order consistent with the law of this State has and shall exercise continuing, exclusive jurisdiction to modify its child-support order if the order is the controlling order and:
    (1) at the time of the filing of a request for

    modification this State is the residence of the obligor, the individual obligee, or the child for whose benefit the support order is issued;

    So, you might be able to write a letter to the court raising the CEJ argument . . .but the better practice would be to hire a lawyer in CA to knock the support case out of the CA court and bounce it over to the IL court.

    Questions? Call -- 312-987-9999 -- no charge, no obligaiton.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics