If both my wife and I agree on a divorce settlement, how much will be the minimum cost for the divorce and how to do it?

My wife and I want to divorce and we have reached agreement on settlement. Questions: - do we need a lawyer? - if yes, how much (roughly) for a lawyer to prepare the divorce document? - if no, how to proceed? - how long does it take to complete our divorce (if everything goes smoothly)? Thanks

Raleigh, NC -

Jeffrey William Gillette

Jeffrey William Gillette

Family Law Attorney - Franklin, NC

The grounds for divorce in North Carolina are that you and your spouse have lived separate and apart for at least one year and have no intention of reconciling. You do not need a lawyer to get a divorce. You do lose significant rights when divorce is granted, including the right to ask for alimony and equitable distribution. Working with a lawyer when you get your divorce is always a good idea. The cost will vary from one attorney to the next. Once you file a complaint for divorce, you need to wait at least 30 days before a court will grant the divorce.

If you live in Raleigh, summary judgment divorces are handled every Friday morning in courtroom 9B. You need to complete some paperwork in advance. You can get the paperwork, along with some basic instructions, in the Family Court office on the 11th floor of the Wake County Courthouse. Good luck.

David Alexander Browde

David Alexander Browde

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Chappaqua, NY

How much a divorce will cost is dependent, under these circumstances, on the hourly rate charged by your attorney and on how complicated your settlement is.

Are there children/child support issues? Are there pensions or property to divide? Spousal Support?

You should make some phone calls and discuss your case with some local divorce lawyers, and see what they have to say.

Uncontested divorces generally are not terribly expensive and can be accomplished reasonably quickly.

Related Advice