If being charged for armed robbery and it is evident the defendant is guilty can a lawyer help reduce the sentence?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fontana, CA

if caught red - handed for armed robbery and the DA is offering 16 years can a criminal defense lawyer help reducing the sentence to the minimum ?

1. Chris J Feasel

13

Answered . Yes absolutely - an attorney is a skilled professional who knows the law and the various sentencing options, assuming the DA proves his guilt (being caught "red handed" doesn't necessarily mean anything). Get him an attorney asap.

2. Eugene Andre Ahtirski

12

Answered . IT DEPENDS on ALL the facts, the Judge, how far the case goes before it is disposed, etc...Bottom line, you really need the services of either a public defender or private counsel to assist you in looking at everything before you agree to any plea bargain! As an aside, if you found my direction helpful, and if you feel appropriate; could you be so kind as to designate my answer as the “best” answer to your question? I truly wish you the best of luck!

3. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

12

Answered . Yes- an attorney can be very helpful in dealing with sentence reductions . Get an attorney .

4. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi

Pro

12

Answered . Yes, a criminal defense lawyer can help in many ways, one way is finding holes in the case. No matter how guilty, if mistakes are made, that can help reduce your sentence dramatically sometimes.

Elliot Zarabi
    www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com
    213-612-7720

5. Joseph Salvatore Farina

9

Best Answer

Answered . You clearly need legal help. If the offer is 16 years, sounds like the robber was committed with use of a gun, because a robbery carries a term of probation or 2, 3 or 5 years and use of a gun adds 10 years. Even if caught "red handed" there may be something an attorney can negotiate, like getting the gun enhancement dropped. And do not discuss facts of case on this site- this is a public forum.

6. Stephanie Michelle Arrache

7

Answered . If the offer is 16 years, then you definitely need an attorney! If the DA is already conveying offers, then I am assuming you have an attorney or you are pro per. If you have an attorney, you need to discuss the case thoroughly with him or her. There are always methods for negotiating, a skill which good attorneys are used to. Talk to your attorney. If you do not feel comfortable with him or her, find a new one. Do not settle for anything without knowing that someone is fighting for your rights!

The above stated is advice only, and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.