If attorney doesn't represent you in bankruptcy after signing contract, does he have to return the whole retainer?

Andover, MA |

I gave him $1,500 and he only returned $1,000. I believe he should have sent the whole thing back. He broke the contract by saying he didn't want to do c. 13 cases anymore. That's what he gave me for a reason. We worked with him for a year and a half and he just left us. I found another attorney who represented us but I had to come up with an additional $1,000 for him to represent him. Can we report him to the Ethics Commission? He is in Andover, MA, and we are in NH.

This is fact-dependent: Since you have a new attorney, you may want to ask this question of your current attorney.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

I agree with my colleague, but also note that you worked with the first attorney for an entire year --he no doubt earned his fee of only $500.00 during that period of time.

No attorney-client relatonship is created in responding to this question, and advice provided is based solely on very limited facts presented, and therefore may not be correct. You are advised that it is always best to contact a competent and experienced with the practice of law in the county in which you reside, particularly as it relates to family law, child support, custody and visitation (a/k/a "parenting time") issues, including 209A abuse-prevention restraining orders (a/k/a "ROs" in legal-speak), regarding un-emancipated children, under the age of 22.

Have your new bankruptcy attorney review the agreement you had with your former bankruptcy lawyer and all bills that he gave you. The question here is what services did the attorney provide you, the benefit you received and were his charges reasonable for the services he rendered to you. I suggest that you carefully review with your current bankruptcy exactly what services s/he will be providing you, the fees and fees you will be charged, and discusss your expectations and the result you want. And you should have a written Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement.

Don Adler
Attorney At Law
150 Merrimac Street, Suite 3
Newburyport, MA 01950
Tel: 978.462.6789
Fax: 978.965.4823

Practice limited to bankruptcy in the MA and NH Bankruptcy Courts

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. The content of this message is solely for informational and educational purposes only and does not constitute legal or other professional advice. Nor, does it create an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship is created without a signed written agreement with the firm.

CONFIDENTIALITY. The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments are covered by applicable state and federal laws and is intended only for use by the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by telephone (978.462.6789) or via reply email and destroy the original message without making a copy. The receipt by anyone other than the designated recipient does not waive the attorney-client privilege, nor will it constitute a waiver of the work-product doctrine. The information contained in this message is intended for contact purposes only and does not constitute an electronic signature. Thank you.
IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE. To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, unless specifically indicated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not written or intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding tax related penalties or promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax related matter addressed herein.

Go Green! Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business