If arrested in a county on outstanding warrant from another county will an inmate be released & after how long if not picked up?

My husband was arrested walking to work from the bus in Newark,NJ (Essex County) for a (several yrs. old) outstanding warrant on a ticket he was unaware of having for, we think drinking in public(the jails & courthouses in NJ seem not to like answering phones to get questions answered /especially when you try locating your family member that they have arrested.)The warrant was from Jersey City, NJ (Hudson County).Supposedly he can be bailed out for $650.00 ,which is what the charge is for.How long will Essex County wait for Hudson County to pick him up? Isn't there a standard amount of time that they are suppose to have him picked up by? If he's not, will he just be let go from essex county jail or with/without a court date & fine?

Jersey City, NJ -

Benjamin G Kelsen

Benjamin G Kelsen

Criminal Defense Attorney - Teaneck, NJ

Best bet is to go to Hudson and pay the bail so there will be no detainer and he can be released from Essex County without having to wait. You should also retain counsel as soon as possible.

Dean P Murray

Dean P Murray

DUI / DWI Attorney - Hoboken, NJ

You should be able to post bail immediately in Hudson County and have him released almost immediately. You owe it to yourself to contact a lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

John Thomas Doyle

John Thomas Doyle

Criminal Defense Attorney - Kearny, NJ

Bail him out when he is brought to Hudson County and then hire a good attorney.

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

Criminal Defense Attorney - Union, NJ

Most Municipal Courts now have video hookups. If there is no hold on him Hudson should pick him up. Jersey City should come pick him up.