Skip to main content

If arrested and put in jail for 30days for driving with suspended license from a DUI. What happens to my kid?

Lebanon, CT |

Will dcf be involved? His father is primary parent , could I just have my mother take him? I don't want the father to know what's going on how do I hide it form him? Any info will help!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


DCF would not be notified and you can leave child with any responsible party. I would not suggest hiding it as if he finds out he was lied to it would provide further ammunition for a modification of parenting time.

This is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is absolutely NOT legal advice that you should rely upon when making a decision. It is general information about the law in Connecticut. You need to consult with an attorney who will ask you all the facts necessary to give you specific legal advice for your situation.



In ct?


Hire an experienced criminal defense attorney in the area in which your case is pending asap. It may be possible to serve your sentence in 4-5 day increments with judicial approval, as opposed to serving the 30 days all at once. I am not going to address whether you should hide this fact from the child's father, nor can I predict DCF involvement. Your best bet is to hire private counsel immediately.


As Atty Thygerson stated, there are arguments that can be made as to how your sentence can be carried out. However, you indicate that your child's father is the primary parent. From that I take that the father has residential custody. If so, it is less likely that DCF will be involved (although no guarantee). But also given that, unless the father agrees, custody with your mother while you are incarcerated is not an option. As to whether or not to let the father know what is happening, let your conscience be your guide but as was said here, depending on why the father became the primary parent (or given residential custody of your child), this conviction could impact the visitation and custody situation. But also be aware, that if the father files a motion to modify custody or visitation in the family court, the judge is very likely to take all of your actions into account.

Brian S. Karpe, Esq. (860) 242-2221 Note: This response DOES NOT constitute legal advice and therefore no specific action should be taken in reliance thereon. No attorney-client relationship is created through this response. You should speak to an licensed attorney in your state who is competent to answer your question before taking any action with regard to this question.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer