If an underage immigrant is caught crossing the border, would they be released to an undocumented family member?

Asked over 1 year ago - Silver Spring, MD

This underage person has family in the USA but they are undocumented as well. They do not have run ins with the law, but they do not have legal residency status. If she were to get caught by ICE upon her entrance to the USA and they allow her to be relased to a sponsor, would they release her to a family member who is undocumented? Would this put the family member in danger of getting deported?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Anu Gupta


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should discuss this with a local immigration attorney.

    Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit www.... more
  2. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Border Patrol and ICE generally release unaccompanied minors to immediate and responsible relatives including those who do not have U.S. immigration status.

  3. Mary Kathleen Neal

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . It is not uncommon for unaccompanied minor to be released to undocumented relatives. Whether this will put family member in danger is hard to predict. I have seen cases where no harm came to the family members, but ICE has their own priorities for arrests and any interaction with immigration authorities holds some danger for undocumented aliens.

    Speak with an attorney in private to determine the best course of action for your family.

    Law Office of Mary K. Neal | www.immigratechicago.com | info@rogersparklaw.com| 773-681-1335 This answer is... more

Related Topics

Deportation process

The deportation process can be long and frustrating, but there are some important things to remember as you navigate the immigration courts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,233 answers this week

3,543 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,233 answers this week

3,543 attorneys answering