Skip to main content

If an temporary order has expired and our divorce decree is not signed, can I motion for another temporary order?

Sandy, UT |

Our divorce decree will take another 6 months to finish and I want to know if I can motion for another temporary order to be in place since I have my children half the time and my husband is not paying any child support. Can I do that? I was denied temporary spousal support but now my soon to be ex-husband has finally gone back to work, so can I ask for spousal support to help me through this tough time? Can I ask for it if circumstances have changed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


yes and please work with a local attorney, take care. Unless a trial is scheduled and no further motions have been ordered.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


How have your temporary orders "expired"? Unless the temporary orders actually provide a deadline, which is uncommon, the temporary orders will usually extend for the duration of the action.

If there is an expiration date, you should certainly go back to the court to continue and/or modify temporary orders. To modify the temporary orders, you will probably need to show that circumstances have changed since the original temporary orders were entered, but whether you will succeed depends a lot upon the facts of your case (facts I do not have).

The answers provided are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this answer or links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Atticus Legal Group LLC, Mckail Hamilton, and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through avvo are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer