If an temporary order has expired and our divorce decree is not signed, can I motion for another temporary order?

Asked 6 months ago - Sandy, UT

Our divorce decree will take another 6 months to finish and I want to know if I can motion for another temporary order to be in place since I have my children half the time and my husband is not paying any child support. Can I do that? I was denied temporary spousal support but now my soon to be ex-husband has finally gone back to work, so can I ask for spousal support to help me through this tough time? Can I ask for it if circumstances have changed?

1. Mckail Hamilton

Answered . How have your temporary orders "expired"? Unless the temporary orders actually provide a deadline, which is uncommon, the temporary orders will usually extend for the duration of the action.

If there is an expiration date, you should certainly go back to the court to continue and/or modify temporary orders. To modify the temporary orders, you will probably need to show that circumstances have changed since the original temporary orders were entered, but whether you will succeed depends a lot upon the facts of your case (facts I do not have).

2. Howard M Lewis

Pro

Answered . yes and please work with a local attorney, take care. Unless a trial is scheduled and no further motions have been ordered.