Skip to main content

If an officer comes out to someone's home and take's something that they think is stolen; Do they not need to have a warrant,

Whitesburg, KY |

or give something showing they have removed the property or item ?

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Police have the right to investigate a crime, but to enter a residence, they need the owner's consent or a search warrant to enter the home. IF the police have the lawful right to be where they are when they see something in plainview that is criminal in nature, they have additional rights to seize the contraband. If there pursuant to a search warrant, the officer will complete an inventory of items taken and generally leave a copy at the residence. I would consult with a criminal defense attorney in your area for advice to raise your concerns.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Civil rights topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics