If an officer comes out to someone's home and take's something that they think is stolen; Do they not need to have a warrant,

Asked over 2 years ago - Whitesburg, KY

or give something showing they have removed the property or item ?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Police have the right to investigate a crime, but to enter a residence, they need the owner's consent or a search warrant to enter the home. IF the police have the lawful right to be where they are when they see something in plainview that is criminal in nature, they have additional rights to seize the contraband. If there pursuant to a search warrant, the officer will complete an inventory of items taken and generally leave a copy at the residence. I would consult with a criminal defense attorney in your area for advice to raise your concerns.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more

Related Topics

Privacy law

Privacy law is typically associated with an individual's right to privacy and control over his or her likeness, but may also deal with corporate matters.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,703 answers this week

3,432 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,703 answers this week

3,432 attorneys answering