If an officer comes out to someone's home and take's something that they think is stolen; Do they not need to have a warrant,

Asked almost 2 years ago - Whitesburg, KY

or give something showing they have removed the property or item ?

1. Frank Mascagni III

Answered . Police have the right to investigate a crime, but to enter a residence, they need the owner's consent or a search warrant to enter the home. IF the police have the lawful right to be where they are when they see something in plainview that is criminal in nature, they have additional rights to seize the contraband. If there pursuant to a search warrant, the officer will complete an inventory of items taken and generally leave a copy at the residence. I would consult with a criminal defense attorney in your area for advice to raise your concerns.