Skip to main content

If an international student marry to US citizen, and file tax as married jointly, IRS is going to tax on all the money?

Los Angeles, CA |
Filed under: Tax law

I am an international student and I am planning to marry on Sep this year. what I want to ask is if we decide to file our tax married jointly, IRS is gonna tax on my money which was sent from my parent for my school? Because I can't work here, my parents send my money 1500 dollars a month for living and 7000 dollars a year for the school. It is almost 25000 dollars a year. Do I have to report the money from my parents if I file married jointly?

Attorney Answers 2


This is not income from earnings; it is a gift or loan from your parents. It is not taxable or even reportable no matter how you file married or jointly.

Mark as helpful


The money you receive from your parents is a gift and is not taxable income on your return.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Mark as helpful

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics