If an immigration officer takes you to a room and questions you at the airport have you been detained?

Asked over 2 years ago - Pittsburgh, PA

If an immigration officer beleives that you are coming to America to live and takes you and questions you and you are denied entry and your visa revoked did you committ a crime or an offense? Were you detained ?

1. Hassan Hussein Elkhalil

6

Answered . No you did not commit a crime. Immigration law is civil and not criminal. The fact that the officer stopped you at the airport, questioned you, revoked your visa and denied entry is not a criminal offense. However, the revoking of the visa and denial of entry have immigration consequences that may impact your ability to obtain a visa or re-enter the U.S.

Good luck

Elkhalil Law Firm, LLC
    Hassan Elkhalil
    www.greencardusa.com
    (770) 612-3499

Disclaimer: This answer is for informational and educational use only. This answer does not creat attroney-client relationship. For more details, I recommend a private consultation with an immigration lawyer.

2. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

Dhenu Savla
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com
    Free Phone Consultations Available

3. Elizabeth Clare Surin

Pro

Answered . Not a crime and not detained in the sense of being put in jail. But you would need to review what paperwork was given to you. Consult a lawyer if in doubt.

4. Luis Alberto Guerra

Pro

1

Answered . 1) The moment you are not free to leave you are detained.
    2) As far as your second question, it depends on the reason of the revocation.