If an immigration officer takes you to a room and questions you at the airport have you been detained?

Pittsburgh, PA |

If an immigration officer beleives that you are coming to America to live and takes you and questions you and you are denied entry and your visa revoked did you committ a crime or an offense? Were you detained ?

1. No you did not commit a crime. Immigration law is civil and not criminal. The fact that the officer stopped you at the airport, questioned you, revoked your visa and denied entry is not a criminal offense. However, the revoking of the visa and denial of entry have immigration consequences that may impact your ability to obtain a visa or re-enter the U.S.

Good luck

Elkhalil Law Firm, LLC
    Hassan Elkhalil
    www.greencardusa.com
    (770) 612-3499

Disclaimer: This answer is for informational and educational use only. This answer does not creat attroney-client relationship. For more details, I recommend a private consultation with an immigration lawyer.

2. I agree with my colleague.

Dhenu Savla
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com
    Free Phone Consultations Available

3. 1) The moment you are not free to leave you are detained.
    2) As far as your second question, it depends on the reason of the revocation.

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.

4. Not a crime and not detained in the sense of being put in jail. But you would need to review what paperwork was given to you. Consult a lawyer if in doubt.

An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended to be legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.