If an attorney doesn't provide you with a copy of engagement agreement you have signed upon hiring them, what can be done?

Asked about 2 years ago - Geneseo, IL

Upon hiring an attorney, we didn't recieve an copy of the engagement agreement after paying the retainer fee. There are many loose ends and no closure with our case. The attorney is requesting$800 more for a case that is not closed due to their inaccuracies. We have received the wrong information for child support payments (with return of child support payments) and the child support case has been moved from one state to another. With the present state showing payments not recieved. Can anything be done since the attorney did not provide closure to this case?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Gary L. Schlesinger

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . yes. make an appt. to see the lawyer. request a copy of the entire file, including the engagement letter. leave the appt. go hire a different lawyer to finish the case.

  2. Salim John Sheikh

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Ask your attorney for a copy of the engagement letter.

    You may want to send him a request in writing via certified mail.

    Good Luck!

    Sal Sheikh practices law in Illinois.This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. You should... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,160 answers this week

2,974 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,160 answers this week

2,974 attorneys answering