Skip to main content

If an adult is in a guardianship, do they have a right to receive medical care if the guardian does not want them to ?

West Allis, WI |

A guardian does not want her ward to receive medical care, food or water. The state ombudsman and every body above her refuses to help. The ward wants medical care, food and water. The guardian placed the ward on hospice care. The ward does not want to be on hospice care.

Attorney Answers 2


Meet with an elder care lawyer to discuss potential to bring a petition before the court having jurisdiction over the guardianship. If there is a more appropriate guardian the a removal petition could be instituted to replace e current guardian.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree that it may be necessary to substitute guardians under these facts. You can certainly contact me further for further assistance.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics