If an "original" prenuptial agreement is shredded does that make it invalid by law?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

When I asked my husband for a copy of the prenup that he had me sign on our wedding day he asked me why it was important for me to have it. I told him that I just wanted to read it over with an attorney to understand what I had signed. He then decided to tear it up and throw it away. He said that this would make it invalid and that I should not think about it anymore.

1. Carin Manders Constantine

1

Answered . This is a question that is impossible to correctly answer without more details. Why was it ripped up? Did you agree to it when he attempted to 'revoke' it? Do you have a copy? Are you now wanting it to be valid?

2. Scott Michael Weiss

Pro

1

Answered . Not having the original prenup does not prevent you from attempting to enforce a copy of the agreement, if it was never your intention to invalidate it.

3. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

Answered . No. Can you get a copy? Didn't you get a copy?

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239