If a US citizen marries an Australian citizen in Australia, and wants to bring them back to the USA, which visa?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

from my research I think that the CR1 is best, but my question is, does the US citizen have to apply for this for his wife from the USA, or can he do it from Australia?
I also read online that the total cost by the end of it all is $945 is this correct?
And is it basically guaranteed to be approved as long as you can prove that the relationship is genuine and as long as you make more than the 125% poverty line, or have a co-sponsor if you do not? Thanks in advance.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Priti Khanna

    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . You have to petition for your spouse from the United States. To speak to an attorney in further detail regarding this case, please call our office at 404-903-4486.

  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can only marry one person. So them would not be an option unless them means spouse and stepchildren under the age of 18. CR1 is the visa. I-130 is the form.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . To meet the requirements for the affidavit of support, the US spouse must reside in the US.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Family based green card

Citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their relatives for permanent residence in the United States.

Danielle Nelisse

Green Card Marriage Interview

The immigration interview husbands and wives are required to attend in order to get the foreign spouse their green card (lawful permanent residence) through marriage can be very anxiety... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,572 answers this week

3,583 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,572 answers this week

3,583 attorneys answering