If a teacher tells other faculty that a student attacked another student when it actually did not happen, is it defamation?

Upper Darby, PA |

A student was making repeated comments to another student that he was going to rape the second ones sister, also a student in the school. He made four or five of these statements prior to the second making a comment concerning the offenders appearance. The first one then attacked, grabbing the second child's throat and striking him at least once. This has been characterized on the second students record as an "incident". Fast forward 2 years and the second is being denied Honor Society and the faculty adviser has approached many other faculty members in the school saying that the second student was at fault in a fight and that he in fact attacked the first student causing the incident to occur. This faculty member was not present nor involved in the original incident.

I think this would be better handled by a meeting with the principal and/or the school board or supervisor. A consultation with a local attorney specializing in education law wouldn't hurt either.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

Those meetings have occurred with the teacher present. She continues to approach faculty and make the comments, unsolicited.

If the statement is willful and false, there may be a case

Quite confusing. You need to hire an attorney to attempt to achieve the result you are seeking.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

Recommended articles about Personal injury