If a teacher is sending e-mails with links that lead to child porn does is her attorney obligated by law to report her to the

Westerly, RI |

police? In Rhode Island teachers are mandated reporters which must report any form of child abuse to the authorities. Do you know where I may find a statue or other information regarding this situation?

You can report the teacher to the police and to whoever else you want; the teacher's lawyer probably cannot.

Check out Rule 1.6 of rules of professional responsibility for lawyers in RI:

1.6. Confidentiality of Information
    (a) A lawyer shall not reveal information relating to the representation of a client unless the client gives informed consent, except for disclosures that are impliedly authorized in order to carry out the representation, and except as stated in paragraph (b).

(b) A lawyer may reveal such information to the extent the lawyer reasonably believes necessary:
    (1) to prevent the client from committing a criminal act that the lawyer believes is likely to result in imminent death or substantial bodily harm;
    (2) to establish a claim or defense on behalf of the lawyer in a controversy between the lawyer and the client, to establish a defense to a criminal charge or civil claim against the lawyer based upon conduct in which the client was involved, or to respond to allegations in any proceeding concerning the lawyer’s representation of the client;
    (3) to secure legal advice about the lawyer's compliance with these Rules; or
    (4) to comply with other law or a court order.

I am not your attorney and I am not giving legal advice. I am giving you general information about the law. To give you legal advice I would first have to learn more about the facts and circumstances of your particular situation. The Rhode Island Supreme Court licenses all lawyers in the general practice of law. The court does not license or certify any lawyer as an expert or specialist in any particular field of practice.

2. The teacher's attorney is not legally obligated to report her to authorities for sending emails with links t porn. Her attorney is obligated to maintain confidentiality as to matter learned about her and from her, except in limited circumstances pertaining to intended acts of physical harm. Sending links to unwholesome of even unlawful matter does not meet the standard of potential harm that would override the attorney-client privileges.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

3. TITLE 11
    Criminal Offenses
    CHAPTER 11-9
    Children
    SECTION 11-9-1.3

§ 11-9-1.3 Child pornography prohibited. – (a) Violations. It is a violation of this section for any person to:

(1) Knowingly produce any child pornography;

(2) Knowingly mail, transport, deliver or transfer by any means, including by computer, any child pornography;

(3) Knowingly reproduce any child pornography by any means, including the computer; or

(4) Knowingly possess any book, magazine, periodical, film, videotape, computer disk, computer file or any other material that contains an image of child pornography.

(1) Whoever violates or attempts or conspires to violate subdivisions (a)(1), (a)(2) or (a)(3) of this section shall be subject to a fine of not more than five thousand dollars ($5,000), or imprisoned for not more than fifteen (15) years, or both.

(2) Whoever violates or attempts or conspires to violate subdivision (a)(4) of this section shall be subject to a fine of not more than five thousand dollars ($5,000), or imprisoned not more than five (5) years, or both.

(c) Definitions. For purposes of this section:

(1) "Child pornography" means any visual depiction, including any photograph, film, video, picture, or computer or computer-generated image or picture, whether made or produced by electronic, mechanical, or other means, of sexually explicit conduct where:

(i) The production of such visual depiction involves the use of a minor engaging in sexually explicit conduct;

(ii) Such visual depiction is a digital image, computer image, or computer-generated image of a minor engaging in sexually explicit conduct; or

(iii) Such visual depiction has been created, adapted, or modified to display an identifiable minor engaging in sexually explicit conduct.

(2) "Computer" has the meaning given to that term in section 11-52-1;

(3) "Minor" means any person not having reached eighteen (18) years of age;

(4) "Identifiable minor."

(i) Means a person:

(A) Who was a minor at the time the visual depiction was created, adapted, or modified; or

(II) Whose image as a minor was used in creating, adapting, or modifying the visual depiction; and

(ii) Who is recognizable as an actual person by the person's face, likeness, or other distinguishing characteristic, such as a unique birthmark or other recognizable feature; and

(B) Shall not be construed to require proof of the actual identity of the identifiable minor.

(5) "Producing" means producing, directing, manufacturing, issuing, publishing or advertising;

(6) "Sexually explicit conduct" means actual:

(i) Graphic sexual intercourse, including genital-genital, oral-genital, anal-genital, or oral-anal, or lascivious sexual intercourse where the genitals, or pubic area of any person is exhibited;

(ii) Bestiality;

(iii) Masturbation;

(iv) Sadistic or masochistic abuse; or

(v) Graphic or lascivious exhibition of the genitals or pubic area of any person;

(7) "Visual depiction" includes undeveloped film and videotape and data stored on a computer disk or by electronic means, which is capable of conversion into a visual image;

(8) "Graphic," when used with respect to a depiction of sexually explicit conduct, means that a viewer can observe any part of the genitals or pubic area of any depicted person or animal during any part of the time that the sexually explicit conduct is being depicted.

(1) It shall be an affirmative defense to a charge of violating subdivision (a)(1), (a)(2), or (a)(3) of this section that:

(i) The alleged child pornography was produced using an actual person or persons engaging in sexually explicit conduct; and

(ii) Each such person was an adult at the time the material was produced; and

(iii) The defendant did not advertise, promote, present, describe or distribute the material in such a manner as to convey the impression that it is or contains a visual depiction of a minor eng

This observation is provided without warranty nor guarantee and for entertainment and informational purposes only. This answer is not legal advice. Not to be used as infant formula. No attorney client relationship is established as a result of these communications. The best legal advice you can get is to consult with an attorney licensed in your state or territory.

Education law topics