If a spouse commits a felony while sep[eated and headed for divorce can the other spouse be forced to pay spousal support

Asked over 1 year ago - Chester, VA

The wife was charged by my fiance with check fraude and claims to be unable to work. I am being found that if a felony record causes her to be unable to work that I will have to continue spousal support and max child support.

1. H. Eugene Oliver III

Pro

1

Answered . Being a convicted felon is not a bar to receiving spousal or child support, but is something the court should consider in terms of potentially imputing income. The court may find that she is voluntarily under- or unemployed and thus impute income to her, which can lower your obligation. I would discuss your case in detail with an attorney to see the potential benefit in doing so.