If a settlor is adjudicated incompetent by a Florida court,does the revocable trust become irrevocable?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Tampa, FL

Are the named beneficiaries of the revocable trust now "qualified" under a irrevocable trust and is the trustee now required to inform and account to them under Florida Trust Law?

1. Dan W. Armstrong

Answered . I am a Florida Lawyer. Since you asked about Florida law, I suggest that you take opines of Florida licensed attorneys only. In Florida a revocable trust does not necessarily become irrevocable when the Settlors become incapacited. If the Settlor named themselves the trustee then successor trustees should step in at this time under the language of the trust and continue administering the trust. Not seeing the trust it is difficult to determine the intent or purpose of the trust. I’m not sure about your term “qualified” since I have not read the trust. Depending what the trust says if the purpose of the trust is for example to care for the Settlors and all the funds are expended during the Settlors life then beneficiaries never receive anything!
    See an elder law attorney since this subject can be complex and other issues are created that you might require further information. My website below may have articles that may further be of interest to you on this subject. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thank you!
    My comments are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, are not confidential, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given by an attorney who agrees to represent you, who reviews the facts of your specific case, who does not have a conflict of interest preventing the representation, and who is licensed as an attorney in the state where the law applies.

Dan W. Armstrong, Attorney
    Law Offices of Dan W. Armstrong, P.A.
    P.O. Box 1535
    Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32004-1535
    (O) 904.280.0058, (F) 904.280.0109

Website: http://www.DanArmstrong.com

2. Eliz C A Johnson

Answered . In California, No. Under Florida law, I cannot say. The point is it is irrevocable on her death not her incompetence. As long as she is alive, she can, often through her Conservator or Agent, amend or revoke and often the reasons to do this are tax driven. The ability to do this is governed by the Trust instrument though there may be an issue of "substituted judgment'.

Contact your local bar association for referral to an attorney who specializes in this. Often, but not always, the attorney will do an initial consultation free of charge. You will then be in a better position to determine what to do next. Best of luck to you!

3. Margaret L. Cross

Answered . A settlor's incompetency does not make a revocable trust irrevocable unless that scenario is specifically stated in the trust. Incompetency also does not change the beneficiaries' rights under the trust.
    Normally under a revocable trust, the settlor is the beneficiary until the settlor's death. The Trustee would continue to make accountings to the incompetent settlor's guardian or power of attorney until the settlor's death.