IF a separation is being contested do the bills that keep coming into the home that I am paying, can they be his bills also?

Asked about 5 years ago - Bellevue, WA

IF a separation is being contested do the bills that keep coming into the home that I am paying, can they be his bills also? Meaning does the day he moved out of the home count without the documents? Also am I responsible for his bills that he is now incurring. He just bought a new truck.

1. Frank A Selden

Answered . usually the court goes back to the day separation happened when creating the "equitable" settlement. creditors, on the other hand, will hold you both liable for joint accounts until the separation is final.

2. Yale Lewis III

Answered . typically, the court will make each party responsible for their own debts post day of separation.

Creditors, however, will go after whoever they can and aren't bound by the court order. the court order only affects the parties.