IF a separation is being contested do the bills that keep coming into the home that I am paying, can they be his bills also?

Bellevue, WA |

IF a separation is being contested do the bills that keep coming into the home that I am paying, can they be his bills also? Meaning does the day he moved out of the home count without the documents? Also am I responsible for his bills that he is now incurring. He just bought a new truck.

usually the court goes back to the day separation happened when creating the "equitable" settlement. creditors, on the other hand, will hold you both liable for joint accounts until the separation is final.

typically, the court will make each party responsible for their own debts post day of separation.

Creditors, however, will go after whoever they can and aren't bound by the court order. the court order only affects the parties.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce