If a school or employer has my ss number can they find out where i work or how much i earn?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lynbrook, NY

l

1. Gaetano Parrinello

4

Answered . I agree with my colleague. The Social Security number is not necessary to finding out information about your work and earnings. Social Security should not release your earnings statement to anyone without an authorization from you, but there are other ways to get this type of information including private investigators, Google, and other sources.

2. L. Maxwell Taylor

4

Answered . Possibly. It is not uncommon for data aggregators to have information about the job held by someone. By "data aggregators" I mean Seisint, Radaris, Intelius, etc. In fact, it is not necessary for someone using these private, fee-based databases to have your social security number. They can learn a great deal about you without it, if it becomes important to someeone to find out more about you. If you are a public employee your salary is a matter of public record. Not so if you are privately employed or own your own business.

3. Clint Curtis

2

Answered . In this age of electronicaly stored information, anything that has been publically stored can be accessed by almost anyone. Social Security will not release such information but your SSN is about the only thing that is private.