Skip to main content

If a prossecutor dismisses a case and says status closed can they reopen it

Perry, MI |

the case is 11 years old and never went to court

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


With rare exceptions for Murder, CSC 1st, Identity Theft and other specified felonies, Michigan's statute of limitations is 6 years.

I encourage you to use to find a 10.0 rated criminal defense lawyer. Most retained criminal defense attorneys will offer you a free telephone consultation. Feel free to consult with an attorney in any part of Michigan as it is not uncommon for criminal defense lawyers to travel throughout the state.

Mr. Loren Dickstein, Esq.
10.0 Rated Michigan Criminal Defense Attorney
2000 Town Center, Ste. 2350
Southfield, MI 48075
(248) 263-6800
AV Rated (Preeminent) by Martindale-Hubbell
Super Lawyer – Thomson Reuters
10.0 Rated (Superb) – Avvo Lawyer Ratings

Click on the picture to see the profile of the lawyer answering your question. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.


The fact that a case is dismissed does not prevent it from being reopened, unless a jury was already sworn at the time of dismissal. If dismissed during trial, the double jeopardy clause of the constitution would usually prevent reopening the case. If dismissed before trial, then double jeopardy does not apply. However, the time that has passed might make the charges impossible to bring because of the statute of limitations. For several serious crimes there are no time limits, but for most crimes the time limit is 6 years. Consult with an attorney.

Contact me at 248-399-6930 for a free consultation. You and I do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer