Skip to main content

If a prison sentence was extreme due to an inaccurate mental health assessment, can you sue?

48653 |

Plus the fact if the sentenced person was innocent to begin with.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Probably not. If however a lawsuit is being considered beaware of your states statute of limitations.

    Jonathan N. Portner, Esquire, Portner & Shure, P.A. Maryland and Virginia Personal Injury Attorneys. This response is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This response should not be relied upon. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm

  2. no, you could try an appeal if its not too late.

    My answer to you question does not constitute legal advice. Only an in person or telephone consultation will result in an attorney/client relationship. Call me at (313)402-0853 to discuss your matter further.

  3. It's not clear who you think might be liable. It is unlikely you can bring a civil suit, but of course that would depend on the specific facts. If the sentence is still being served, depending on the facts, it might be possible to file a motion for relief from judgment and ask for a resentencing.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics