Skip to main content

If a person working at a doctors office gives out personal information about a patient to others outside is a law being broken?

Clearwater, FL |
Filed under: Privacy law

A person working at an out patient clinic told others about my visit and this information was discussed at a party, the details of this discussion got back to me. I don't appreciate my personal life being handled this way and what I'm doing with medical issues in my life is no one's business, do I have a right to complain? Can I take action against the clinic where this occurred?

Attorney Answers 2


If this was medical information, then contact the Medical Board of the State of Florida and report it. Their website should have contact information. They will take action against the medical facility if they deem what they did a violation of HIPAA or any other law. You should consult a local health law attorney if you want to sue civilly--in most instances, the law requires that you have suffered damages as a result, but more information would be needed, and the local consult is the best way to go.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

Mark as helpful

1 comment

Golnar Sargeant

Golnar Sargeant


The civil suit would not be based on HIPAA because it does not have a private right of action, you'd have to ask the local attorney about other avenues, such as invasion of privacy, but as I pointed out above, it usually requires you prove damages as a result of what happened.


You possibly have a valid claim, but you need to discuss the issue with an attorney who handles such issues. In the end, it comes down to your damages and how you can prove them. HIPPA itself does not provide a plaintiff damages.

I am a Florida attorney who practices in the areas of personal injury, criminal defense, and civil rights. My answers on Avvo are not legal advice, and they do not create an attorney-client relationship. If you contact me--please understand that I cannot contact you--then I will carefully evaluate your case and determine if I will accept you as a client. Unless you and I sign a contract for legal representation, then I am not your attorney. Furthermore, Avvo is a limited forum and not well-suited for complex legal analysis. You should always obtain competent legal advice from attorneys who will carefully evaluate all your case's facts. Avvo isn't the place for that.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics