If a person pleads guilty and is given community service

If a person pleads guilty i.e for carrying a small sharp weapon and is given community service as a punishment and wasn't carried out in the higher courts. Is this known as being convicted or not?

New York, NY -

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Criminal Defense Attorney - Garden City, NY

It depends on what charge you were ultimately convicted of. If it was the original charge, you would have a criminal record. If it was a reduced charge, you may not have a criminal record. Get a certificate of disposition.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

Jonathan Brian Manley

Jonathan Brian Manley

Criminal Defense Attorney - Hauppauge, NY

It depends if you plead guilty as charged to criminal possession of a weapon, a misdemeanor, or if you had the charge reduced to a violation.

Howard A. Schwartz

Howard A. Schwartz

Criminal Defense Attorney - Brooklyn, NY

The question is not clear. If the plea was to a non-criminal charge then there is no criminal record. Check your certificate of disposition. Good luck.

Marco Caviglia

Marco Caviglia

Criminal Defense Attorney - Poughkeepsie, NY

Yes. It sounds as if you were convicted by plea of Criminal Possession of a Weapon 4th degree, an A misdemeanor.