Skip to main content

If a person is deported can they come back and apply for citizenship? or are they banned from the US for ever?

Mission, TX |
Filed under: Immigrant visas

I have a friend whos mother was deported 2 years ago. She has 4 children that are citizens and reside here in the US. Two are in high school and 2 are in elementary. The father is a citizen and is still with them. Is it possible for her to apply for citizenship even though she has been deported.

Attorney Answers 2


Before she can apply for citizenship she first must become a lawful permanent resident. Before that can happen her husband will have to file an immigrant visa for her, and then she will have to request the U.S. government's permission to reenter the United States following her deportation. She has a long road to go, and this family should retain immigration counsel for help.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


she can apply for permanent resident status but she has to wait outside the USA for the whole process including a wiaver of the unlawful presence, the deportation and the crime that got her deported. go see jodi goodwin of harlengin for the best attorney in south texas

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics