If a person is arrested on new federal charges will he go back to state prison 1st on the PV before serving his federal time ?

In this example the person arrested has an old PV warrant for walking away from parole years ago. No arrests till now. He turned himself into the FBI on the federal charges.

Orange, CA -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (3)

Joshua Sabert Lowther

Joshua Sabert Lowther

Federal Crime Lawyer - Savannah, GA

The person will remain in federal custody at least until the federal charges are resolved. If the state parole detainer remains pending at the completion of the federal case, or the federal sentence if there is a conviction and a term or imprisonment is imposed, he will be transferred into state custody.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.

Michael Douglas Shafer

Michael Douglas Shafer

Criminal Defense Attorney - Norco, CA

Probably, but the feds can take him if they want him.

Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

Criminal Defense Attorney - Long Beach, CA

If he is convicted federally, the potential exists that he might serve both sentences consecutively. Make certain that if this occurs that you attempt to get any time served to become concurrent time.

Have the person hire a local federal criminal lawyer immediately.

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.