If a person in a accident is given a general release from insurance company can the party receive a civil sue from the victim?

Asked over 1 year ago - Buford, GA

Just wanted to know from the above question

1. Jonathan P. Sexton

Pro

5

Answered . Typically, the answer is no. There are circumstances where a limited liability release is given and the injured party still sues the defendant to claim uninsured motorist benefits. However, a general release would be a release of all claims against those persons listed in the release.

2. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

5

Answered . A properly worded full release from the other party is designed to prevent suit. Without seeing the release language and whether it is a limited or full release, etc., there's no way to answer you.

3. Jesse Cole Kent

Pro

4

Answered . Generally no, but there are some exceptions.

4. Matthew C Simon

Pro

4

Answered . Usually no, but there are exceptions. Re-reread the Release that you signed.

5. Robert G. Rothstein

Answered . I agree with atty. Sexton's advice you. For your own piece of mind, I would pay an atty. for an hour and have him dissect and explain all the clauses in the agreement to you.

6. Kevin A. Adamson

Pro

Answered . In order to appropriately answer this question, there would need to be more information provided. There are different types of releases in Georgia and therefore no attorney can accurately give you an answer to this question without actually seeing the release.

Pro

1

Answered . The release would need to be reviewed.