If a person goes to trial for assault for assault second and criminal possesion of a weapon in the fourth, and has a hung jury

Middletown, NY |
Filed under: Criminal defense

and they offer the person a one and a third to three years instead of going back to trial, what could happen if the person never showed up to court to accept the plea bargain or go back to trial? what could happen???

A warrant will be issued for your arrest and assuming the court warned you of the consequences of not showing up for your re-trial, the re-trial could proceed in your absence. Not returning to court is a very bad idea.

This communication does not constitute legal advice and is provided for informational purposes only as I am not your attorney and you are not my client. Should you wish to obtain legal advice, you may contact my office at (212) 689-4343. This is attorney advertising.

A bench warrant would be issued on the case and the person could also be charged with bail jumping, which gnerally requires consecutive time.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

A warrant will be issued for their arrest. The plea bargain will likely be taken away and they could face consecutive jail time for bail jumping charges even if no bail was posted.