If a PCRA hearing is granted and a new trial is ordered, (IN PA) would i be able to file a motion to supress the evidence?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Murrysville, PA

Basically, i want to know what can be done after a PCRA petition is filed. This is strictly for Pennsylvania. Since our laws in PA suck!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jeffrey B. Engle


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If PCRA relief is granted and you are granted a new trial, then you may file a suppression motion. The PCRA process is difficult, however, and it's difficult to get relief. You would have to prove numerous factors are present. (see Blog article below which outlines PCRA).

    Good luck!

    There is no attorney client relationship created by this email. This response is provided for information... more
  2. Shannon Katherine McDonald

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . After the PRCA is filed the court will consider the facts and possibly have a hearing. If you win that (and, unfortunately for you, it is a big if) then you may get a new trial or another form of relief.

    If you get a new trial, you get a redo of the entire trial. That means you can file any trial motions, re-question and depose any witnesses, and hold the whole trial all over again. It is truly a second bite at the apple.

    Best of luck,

    Shannon K. McDonald

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,356 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,356 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering