If a parole officer tells you what to do but then you move and the other p.o. says differently, then who should you listen to?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lubbock, TX

My family member had a misdemeanor 20 years ago in another state and served 60 days for it. He moved back to Texas about a year after what he had done there and nothing was said or done about it even though he was in trouble with the law a few times, even served a little jail time, since coming back here. Then something happened and he was in prison a few years ago and got out on probation. His P.O. from there, told him not to register as a S.O. since his arrest/prison time, had nothing to do with the other. Yet, his new P.O. says he has to register and if not, he's going to have a warrant out for his arrest. What is he to do

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Maria Tsao Tu

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . He needs to hire a lawyer to look at the offense history in which he pled guilty. Certain offenses are mandatory registration and some are not. So, depending on the evaluation, the lawyer can help with the communication with PO. Obviously, it may be better to move back to the jurisdiction in which the PO is more favorable.

  2. Gerald R Stahl


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . He needs to talk to his original attorney. If you are required to register as a sex offender, the the judge normally would say that at sentencing. Registering is a serious matter, so get counsel and figure it out ASAP.

Related Topics

Parole for criminal conviction

Parole is the release of a person from prison before the sentence is finished. Parole is conditional on your adherence to certain rules, similar to probation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,703 answers this week

3,432 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,703 answers this week

3,432 attorneys answering