If a parent was granted permission to relocate the children to another state will that parent need permission to relocate again?

Asked about 1 year ago - Reno, NV

Moved from Reno to Texas, and now parent is considering moving back to Reno ...does that parent need permission to relocate again?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jill K. Whitbeck

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . It depends on where the other parent is located. If the other parent is in Nevada, then you do not need permission to return to Nevada. Otherwise, the permission you got to move to Texas does NOT apply for you to move to any other state. Keep in mind that any significant change in location will require a change in the visitation schedule.

    Responses are for general information purposes only, and are based on the extremely limited facts given. A... more
  2. Keith Pickard


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . It may also be affected by any orders from Texas, if the prior order was domesticated and the Texas court took home-state jurisdiction. If the relocating parent did not get permission from the Texas court, then they would be expected to return to the Nevada courts to obtain permission and to assure that the visitation schedule was modified accordingly. Of course, you can alway consent to the move yourself, which would put home-state jurisdiction back in Nevada (assuming a 6 month residency requirement were met), making enforcement of a Nevada order just that much easier.

  3. Boris A. Avramski

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . The order allowing the parent to relocate to Texas does not extend to any future relocation. If both parents agree to the relocation, then get it writing. If the non-moving parent disagrees, then the moving parent will need a court's permission to relocate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,370 answers this week

3,063 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,370 answers this week

3,063 attorneys answering