If a nurse quits before her employer confronts her about stealing wasted drugs, can she still be prosecuted for it later?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pittsburgh, PA

employer suspects nurse of abusing/stealing drugs on the job. employee learns of this and resigns before employer can meet with her about it. can she still get in trouble?

1. Noah Paul Fardo

Pro

8

Answered . Yes. Theft is a crime regardless of the status of the employment relationship.

good luck
    noah

2. Timothy Martin Knowles

8

Answered . For your own sake, do not post any more information online about this situation. See an attorney in person for a consultation. Good luck.

Timothy M. Knowles
    Attorney at Law
    tknowles@wmpalaw.com
    610-584-9400 xt. 103
    Warren & McGraw, LLC
    920 Lenmar Drive
    Blue Bell, PA 19422-2000

This answer does not create an attorney/client relationship and is for informational and educational purposes only.
  3. Andrea E. Mertz

Pro

7

Answered . Yes. The statute of limitations for felonies is 5 years (not major felonies like murder). The statute of limitations for misdemeanors is 2 years. Therefore, if this is charged as a felony, the Commonwealth has 5 years to file its charges against you and 2 years if the crime is graded as a misdemeanor. There is more than plenty of time to do a full investigation of the alleged theft and charge you.

4. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

4

Answered . I'm in complete agreement with the responses thus far. You should post no more details on this public website or elsewhere on the Internet, including social media like Facebook. The conduct you've described is criminal behavior capable of supporting criminal charges. The nurse involved should absolutely NOT communicate about the surrounding facts and circumstances with anyone other than legal counsel, and they should have such a conversation with counsel as soon as possible. Most lawyers here, myself included, will provide a free consultation. Advantage of that opportunity should be taken to have a private and confidential conversation with one or more qualified criminal defense attorneys practicing in Allegheny County.

5. Robert C. Keller

4

Answered . The answer is yes. Do not post anything further and retain a criminal defense attorney before speaking with anyone else.

6. David Ian Schoen

Pro

5

Answered . Of Course

7. Josh P Tolin

5

Answered . You should not only retain a criminal defense attorney, but if you have malpractice coverage, or even if you don't, retain someone to represent you before a complaint is made to the Nursing Board. I know in my State, Mo, they are extremely aggressive and unforgiving. Don't ignore this. It will not go away.

8. William Ray Pelger

3

Answered . potentially she could be charged with a crime.