Skip to main content

If a non custodial parent receives SSI, is there a way to make him pay child support for his children?

Williston, FL |

My child's father receices SSI and is married to another woman, child support enforcement does not make him pay child support. Is there another way to make him support our daughter?

Attorney Answers 1


Depending on exactly what Social Security funds he's receiving, the daughter should be entitled to a benefit as well from Social Security. You should go to your Social Security office with a certified copy of whatever court order you have proving that the father is the father and ask what benefits your daughter may be able to receive as a dependent of the father. It is very common for children to get benefits as a result of their parent getting benefits. Those benefits may equal or exceed the court-ordered child support. It's very well worth it to spend some time at the Social Security office.

The reason child support enforcement doesn't collect when parents are on Social Security is, generally, that the parent has been determined to be unable to work (according to Social Security standards--maybe not your own standards). Trying to get a court to compel payment will run into the same issue--ability to work.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics