If a mother gets married does the father of the child have to pay child support?

Asked over 5 years ago - Kent, WA

I'm just asking because my boyfriend has a child with his ex they were never married, but she is now getting married to another man.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The mother's marriage to another man does not automatically relieve the father of his duty to financially support his child.

    The father will have to continue with whatever child support he has been ordered to pay. If there is a qualifying change in the mother's financial resources (perhaps due to the income of the new husband), the father may be able to ask the court to review the child support amount.

    If the new husband adopts the child, the father would be relieved of his duty to pay child support.

    The father should review his facts with an attorney.

  2. Jeffrey Patrick Bassett

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . The question is: What does the mother's getting married have to do with the independent obligation your bf has to support his child? The court sees these as two different things--unless, as Mr. Nguyen states, the new husband wants to adopt the child (which would involve your bf ceding his parental rights). Short of that, your bf is still on the hook for support.

  3. Michael John Gainer

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Prior answers are absolutely correct - the marriage has essentially NOTHING to do with the obligation of a parent to pay child support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,414 answers this week

2,941 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,414 answers this week

2,941 attorneys answering