If a minor were to be questioned by police about a crime that had been committed, do they need to have a gaurdian present?

If a person goes missing and a minor is beleived to have information pertaining to the whereabouts of said missing person, do they need to have a parent or gaurdian present if police wish to question them?

Bethlehem, PA -

Attorney Answers (1)

Robert C. Keller

Robert C. Keller

Criminal Defense Attorney - Havertown, PA

It doesn't sound like the minor child was a suspect in a crime so there is no specific requirement that a parent or guardian be present. If the child is under 14, the police are generally required to have a parent or guardian present before questioning the child.

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.