If a minor in the United States is being stalked, harassed, and cyber-"raped" by a person in Australia, is it illegal?

Asked over 1 year ago - Roswell, GA

The minor lives in Arizona, she gets harassed on skype by a man who lives in Australia, who won't take "No" for an answer. He tries to add her under a random skype pseudonym to evade the blocking system, and if she accepts he attempts to video call her. If successful, he tries to show her his penis, whether she wants to see it or not. He has a history if trying to force other woman to see it, as well, but such parties were of age and were not minors. Are there any international laws that can bring this man to justice?

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

1

Answered . Call both the FBI, the police in Australia, and the folks at Microsoft, which owns Skype.

2. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . I am sure what the stalker is doing is illegal under Australian laaw as well as U.S. law. Unfortunately, the international situation makes this somewhat hard to deal with.

Your local police might be willing to contact his local police to make a personal visit to tell them to cut it out. They Austrailian police may even be willing to go further as this is a minor they are dealing with.

You could hire a lawyer to write a cease and desist letter to the stalker - it has lillte legal force, but could threaten serious criminal & civil sanctions.

Finally, I know the youth of today do not know their electronics have an off button, but my suggestion is to turn skype off until the stalker finds another fish to fry.