If a married couple is denied adjustment of status through a marriage based petition will beneficiary surely be deported?

Smyrna, GA |
Filed under: Immigration

My friend is planning on marrying his girlfriend. She is the beneficiary. Their marriage is totally real but they have only been together for 6 months. He knows that this will be cause for suspicion because they have dated a short time but even more so because they dont have much evidence to show other than a lease in both their names and some pictures. SO, if they *god forbid* get denied, 1) Will USCIS assume it's fraud and deport her? 2) if she leaves voluntarily could she return to the US as a visitor at some point? or does assumption of fraud automatically bar her from the US?

If the marriage is real, they have nothing to worry about.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I agree. Also make sure not to lie at the interview, I know of couple that had a legitimate marriage but were scared off in the interview because they lied about something small and were caught doing it. Your friend should also consider getting an immigration attorney to help prepare the evidence you will submit.

LORIC, Immigration Solutions

(Free Initial Consultation)

Rodrigo Ivan Canido
Managing Attorney

3333 Bowers Ave, Suite 130
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Tel: 650-279-5933

The response given is general in nature and does not create an attorney / client relationship. The answer given may also not account for other facts unknown to the attorney. For a more detailed evaluation you should consult with a licensed immigration attorney.

Depends on the reasons for the denial and whether the beneficiary has valid non-immigrant status.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Fraud is not always assumed every time a petition is denied. Leaving voluntarily might be a problem for her depending on how long she's been in the US. I agree that it's imperative to be truthful, but documentation is also important. Because they have a delicate case, I strongly recommend working with an immigration attorney from the start. An application well prepared and supported can make a difference.

[This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]

Recommended articles about Immigration