If a marriage was not consummate is it legal?

Miami, FL |

We got married in the states, now he is deployed will consummate the marriage as soon as he gets back

It can be grounds for annulment but there are certain time factors and other factors involved which would make this a judgment call.

Our office number is 561.266.9056. If you liked our response kindly vote it up. Thank You....Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational and entertainment purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice nor does it constitute an attorney-client relationship. Thank You

Lack of consummation is grounds for annulment, but no one is exactly sure what "consummating a marriage" means. Today, many people think it means having sex for the first time after the wedding ceremony. But that's probably not what it means, and failure to have sex after the ceremony probably isn't grounds for annulment. Historically, "consummation" meant "to begin" a marriage. "Beginning" a marriage means to tell people you are married, starting a household together, moving in, reporting on forms that you are married, things like that. As long as you do those things, the marriage is probably consummated. But more to your point, all a marriage requires to be legal is a license and a ceremony. As long as you got a marriage license and you had a wedding ceremony, your marriage is legal.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Marriage and prenups