If a lease is not signed by landlord, is it valid? I did not move in yet.

Phoenix, AZ |

I am unhappy with the place I have chose to live in. The property manager cashed my check of $2600 b4 I even signed lease.then when I did sign, she did NOT.i asked the owner if I could move in 3days early.(over weekend) she said yes.thus was a Monday. I texted & called prop manager 2set up a time 2meet for keys. She did not respond for 1day.she said shes away til sat nite.so I changed all arrangements to Sunday.I text her asking what time we can meet. She doesn't answer me all day.finally @9pm on sat nite she texts me 2say she can't meet on Sunday.i have a truck I rented, &car is packed! I feel there's a lack of consideration, and disrespect, and u do not want 2move there now.can I back out?

1. No, unless the lease your sigend says you can terminate early without consequence. Review the language of the document you signed so you know your rights.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

2. I agree with you, in terms of the lack of consideration and I can only imagine the frustration. But the landlord had no legal duty to allow you to move in early. I think you are stuck, unless your lease agreement says otherwise. I think this is a lousy way to start off a tenancy. On the other hand, if you like the place and the rent is fair, in a month or two, this will be a distant bad memory. You might want to check with the owner and let them know what has been going on. If the property manager is screwing around and not taking care of the tenants' needs, then maybe they need a different property manager.

James Frederick

I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state.

Landlord-tenant law topics