If a lawyer is needed to appear in front of an immigration judge, how much would a person anticipate paying a lawyer to appear

San Francisco, CA |

I am looking for the minimum fee and I would appreciate if the high cost lawyers do not mention their price because I am trying to figure our the average among the minimum that is being charged for the appearance for the removal of i-751 in front of the immigration judge to retain a green card. Is it also for only the appearance that the client will be charged. Would you say that if you have lack of proof regarding a bonafide marriage, the lawyer might not be much of a help or would you argue against this.

1. The amount an attorney charges will vary by the area of the country, the attorney's experience and the complexity of the case. Also, you are going to be hard-pressed to find an attorney to agree to appear before an immigration judge for a "single purpose." No case is ever that simple. In fact, the court won't allow an attorney to appear before the court for a single purpose. Once s/he is on the case, it is up to the judge to allow him or her to get off the case.

Now, it you are talking about appearing at an " interview", the cost start around $500.00 in my area of the country. It may be more in SF. Make a few calls to compare rates. Good luck.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

2. It's fairly easy to work out what most lawyer's hourly rates would be. (Most avvo lawyers have it on their avvo pages). The problem is that you're not just paying for the appearance -- these things require preparation, research, interviews with you (and any other important parties), discussions with opposing counsel (and potentially the Judge), and the like. And, as my esteemed colleague points out, limited or single-purpose representations are frowned upon or outright prohibited. So, it's hard to predict on an hourly rate what something like this would run, because it's so individualized.

Flat-rate cases are becoming more common, but you may actually pay more under arrangements like that than you would on an hourly basis. (You might also pay less).

Also, it's going to be extremely unlikely that anyone here is going to tell you what YOUR case will cost, specifically, without a longer consultation. Fortunately, many attorneys here (including myself) do free consultations. I'd find one who does immigration work in CA and call them to set an appointment.

I can be reached at (913) 735-9320. Answers to legal questions are usually fact-dependent; my answers are general and based on the facts as you describe them and necessarily includes assumptions. More specific answers can be provided only after researching the appropriate law and a comprehensive consultation in which all relevant facts are disclosed. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Until both a retainer agreement is executed and we have a consultation, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Moreover, I cannot be your attorney unless you are located in Missouri, the only state in which I am licensed. If you are not in Missouri, please consult an attorney in your state for assistance, as my advice may be incorrect or incomplete. This uncompensated answer is provided for informational purposes only, as a free public service; any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk.

3. Your post is very rude and I do not think this is how you should be talking to any professional. As far as the substance of your questions, select couple of attorneys you would like to get prices from, and give then a call.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

4. You make a lot of assumptions, and I agree the tenor of your email is rude, intended or not. The working relationship needs to suit the client and also the attorney.

For more information, call (888) 483-0311. This information is general in nature and is not legal advice to be relied upon for any particular matter.