If a Landlord leaves letters in front of your door and on your car saying that your are being evicted considered harassment?

Cohoes, NY |

Landlord left letters of 24 hours notice of eviction in front of my door and on my car windshield wiper.

1. Depends on whether the landlord was required by the law to post the eviction notice on your door and or your car. More often the door is the proper place to post a notice. Your car would not be a proper place. Take the notices to a local lawyer to review and seek their advice.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

2. Harassment-no, not on those facts.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

3. It appears your landlord wants you out of the property. Your landlord cannot remove you from the property without going through all of the steps involved in bringing a proper eviction proceeding in the proper court and obtaining a warrant of eviction.

Take a few minutes to look over the following link. It is a tenant's guide to summary eviction proceedings.
    http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/8jd/lttenant.shtml

This communication is intended only to provide general information. No attorney-client relationship is created.

4. No. In any event, New York does not have a civil cause of action for harassment.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

5. Dear if a landlord leaves letters that you are being evicted?

If you have inquired earlier today about a notice of a police eviction in 24 hours, or inquired about a license, you have tried everything today, except provide any background to what is happening between you and your landlord.

If you are that person, you have had nearly all day to explain with facts instead of mere conclusions what is going on in your life. Earlier today the impression you gave was that without any cause and without a court proceeding and without you having signed any agreement, the person you identified as "landlord" told you he arranged for the Cohoes Police to come on Sunday at 4 PM and evict you. You did not take the time to explain how you began to occupy the property, how long you occupied the property and if you paid anyone, in particular, your "landlord" for the right to occupy the property.

Repeatedly, today, lawyers have nearly "begged" you to see a lawyer, right away.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.