If a Landlord leaves letters in front of your door and on your car saying that your are being evicted considered harassment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cohoes, NY

Landlord left letters of 24 hours notice of eviction in front of my door and on my car windshield wiper.

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

Answered . Depends on whether the landlord was required by the law to post the eviction notice on your door and or your car. More often the door is the proper place to post a notice. Your car would not be a proper place. Take the notices to a local lawyer to review and seek their advice.

2. Michael C. Wild

2

Answered . It appears your landlord wants you out of the property. Your landlord cannot remove you from the property without going through all of the steps involved in bringing a proper eviction proceeding in the proper court and obtaining a warrant of eviction.

Take a few minutes to look over the following link. It is a tenant's guide to summary eviction proceedings.
    http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/8jd/lttena...

This communication is intended only to provide general information. No attorney-client relationship is created.
  3. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . No. In any event, New York does not have a civil cause of action for harassment.

4. Steven Warren Smollens

1

Answered . Dear if a landlord leaves letters that you are being evicted?

If you have inquired earlier today about a notice of a police eviction in 24 hours, or inquired about a license, you have tried everything today, except provide any background to what is happening between you and your landlord.

If you are that person, you have had nearly all day to explain with facts instead of mere conclusions what is going on in your life. Earlier today the impression you gave was that without any cause and without a court proceeding and without you having signed any agreement, the person you identified as "landlord" told you he arranged for the Cohoes Police to come on Sunday at 4 PM and evict you. You did not take the time to explain how you began to occupy the property, how long you occupied the property and if you paid anyone, in particular, your "landlord" for the right to occupy the property.

Repeatedly, today, lawyers have nearly "begged" you to see a lawyer, right away.

5. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . Harassment-no, not on those facts.