Skip to main content

If a king county sheriff pulls me over and says he is going to mail me a ticket, how do I find out if he actually sent it to me?

Redmond, WA |

I was accelerating from 45 to about 120 mph and then i slowed down to the stoplight and I didn't see any cops. I didn't see him at all until a mile or two down the road I turned on. And then he pulled me over a mile or two after. When he came to my window the cop was asking me if I knew how fast I was going and I think he was trying to scare me into giving him a confession. He asked me if I wanted to go to jail and also asked me how my driving record was. He told me that he would send me a big ticket in the mail and said if he wasn't so busy he would have taken me to jail right then. He didn't give me any details that he even saw me speeding or radared me. The address on my license was not current at the time so I changed it with the dol website. Will I recieve it at my current home?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should retain an attorney to look into this for you. You can always call the officer, the location where speeding tickets are handled, or look at your driving record for a default on the ticket.

My response to your question is a generic response and should not be construed as controlling to your case. I can not effectively advise about your case without knowing all the facts. Additionally, my response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You can contact my office to schedule an appointment if you would like to have me represent you.


"I was accelerating from 45 to about 120 mph". The officer should have made the time to haul you off to jail. At 120 mph, you likely would have killed anyone you hit.

The officer likely sent you a ticket to your old address. Mail sent to the address you list with DOL is generally considered valid service for traffic tickets. You should check against your name whether you have a court case: .

Alternatively, the officer may have recommended criminal law charges against you. It may take the prosecutor a few days to review the recommendation.

You likely should start interviewing attorneys.


You might or might not receive a ticket, but regardless, you can also get charged with reckless driving, which is a gross misdemeanor.

Courts do check the DOL database if mail is returned to see if an address is current, and will sometimes resend the ticket to the updated address, but only if the ticket is returned to the court.

It's uncertain as to whether you will be cited. I would NOT call the officer.

This answer is given merely for informational purposes and does not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific advice, contact an attorney in your state to see if working together makes sense.


The easiest way to find out is simply call my office. We can look you up in the court system computers. Good luck!

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer