Skip to main content

If a judge threatens to file harassment against someone is that enough to get him/her to recuse themselves or a change of venue?

Hillsborough, NJ |

After 3 order to show causes were filed for temporary custody of a child with exhibits were filed and denied by the same superior court judge within a 2 month period. This judge on the last order to show cause advised that no further order to show causes could be filed with out permission of the court or the court may charge the plaintiff with harassment. The case law sighted in support was Amore and amore. That case law is much different then the circumstances in this situation. the only similar fact is that there were several order to show causes filed. This Judge has never heard any litigation, any motions, any hearings and only knows from the order to show causes. it is a superior court judge, there is a long history in that court house between the party's and a FRO. Is this grounds?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. In my opinion this is insufficient cause so that the judge must recuse himself. I suggest you hire counsel. It sounds like you are getting outlawyered or simply do not understand the proper manners and procedure in court.

  2. Judges enter these kinds of orders frequently. Your daughter would be wise to retain counsel. This is a very slippery slope.

    We can be reached at 215-545-2201. Our firm has lawyers licensed to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey and in the Federal Courts of those states. The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

  3. Probably not.

    Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. There are always specific facts that are important for an attorney to review before providing advice to a Client. In no way should you rely on the response provided herein to conduct your legal affairs on your own. You should always hire an attorney before you rely on advice provided.

  4. You are generally stuck with the Judge that is assigned to the case unless the Judge moves to a different part, which sometimes happens in Family Court. If you filed three Order to Show Cause applications within two months I am assuming that there is something going on that needs to be addressed and I agree that before you return to court again you need to hire an attorney. There are instances where a Judge will order that a party needs to seek leave of court to file further motions, and the harassment would not be towards the Judge, but rather towards the other party. If you cannot afford counsel then at the very lease take your papers to a lawyer for a consultation so you can see why you are meeting wtih this judicial resistance.

    Disclaimer: The information you obtain at this answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Review of this answer does not in any way constitute legal representation,

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics