Skip to main content

If a judge orders an adoption to start can the process be terminated if extended family come forth

West Palm Beach, FL |

I've had my son he was two month old. He is now 2 years old. After 2 years of court and looking for relatives, the judge ordered to start the adoption process. Since everything has been turned over the adoption agency, 3 alleged family members have come forth saying they're interested in adopting the child. None of them were in of the court hearings. One alleged relative put his mother who mentally retarded out when she was 6 months pregnant and never tried to find out where her or the baby was until the adoption process started. Is it possible that the judge will take the child from me and still give him to these people. My email is

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Each case is different and each case demands the attention of an experienced attorney. It is possible that the relatives will adopt. It is also possible to have an open adoption, where you get to visit with the child.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239


it sounds as if, but I cannot be sure from your question, that you have been involved in a dependency proceeding, under chapter 39. If that is the case the court has the power to terminate your parental rights and place the child with the department for adoption. The court does not have the authority to direct who the adopting parents will be. That authority belongs exclusively to the department.

You should consult with an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint an attorney for you (if this is indeed a chapter 39 proceeding).

The above is for informational and educational purposes only, does not establish an attorney client relationship, and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. The only legal advice offered is to have this matter reviewed and discussed by a competent attorney of your own choice.


I agree with Mr. Rogers that it sounds like you are involved with Chapter 39, which has its own set of rules. My best advice is to seek the advice of an attorney who handles Chapter 39 cases. It also sound like you may be entitled to a court appointed attorney. Best of luck to you.

This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer