If a judge leaves a courtroom can I declare myself in charge?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

Can I claim the courtroom as a sovereign citizen and dismiss the case? I would be on the record saying such correct? I believe that we the people have the right to control our own destiny, would I be abiding by the constitution to declare sovereignty?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

5

Answered . No.

2. Terri Beth Kalker

Pro

5

Answered . Um.. Let me think... NO!!

3. Ian Thomas Valkenet

Pro

6

Answered . First: whether to drop, amend, or add charges is within the sole discretion of the prosecutor. Not the judge.

Second: What you "believe" has no affect on the jurisdiction of the court, or the viability of the charges against you.

Third: Your suggestion as to the right of citizens to unilaterally "dismiss" charges against them would eviscerate the power of the judiciary, the checks and balances provided in Articles I, II, and III of the Federal Constitution, and would render our system of criminal justice nugatory.

Fourth: Would you want to live in a country where the most reviled criminals could avoid justice by declaring "sovereignty"? Rather than rely on your own (mis)understanding of constitutional jurisprudence and criminal procedure, I recommend you consult with a local defense attorney ASAP.

4. Zachary Peter Reibstein

Pro

3

Answered . Short answer: no. Long answer: no. But you'd be surprised how often people do try to pull this type of stuff. It often results in additional charges being brought. Don't do it.

5. Vance Tate Davis

4

Answered . I don't think this will turn out very well.