If a judge in AL awards me a judgment for unpaid money,

Asked over 1 year ago - Pensacola, FL

can I get it enforced in FL? What are the ways this can be done?

Additional information

This is money owed from non payment of alimony, but I do not want to domesticate my divorce to Florida. Can I collect money without doing that?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. George John Dezenberg Jr.


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . You can have the Alabama Court issue a garnishment against your ex-husband's wages. If the employer has a business interest or presence in Alabama they will honor the garnishment and some employers honor foreign garnishments for support. If the employer will not honor the garnishment you may have to domesticate the judgment. You should be able to domesticate the JUDGMENT not the whole divorce.

Related Topics

Judgment lien

Judgment liens are the result of someone winning a lawsuit, and then entering the judgment against your property. They can be placed on your car or home.

Wage garnishment

Wage garnishment is the process whereby your employer sends part of your paycheck directly to your creditor in order to pay off your debt.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,514 answers this week

3,585 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,514 answers this week

3,585 attorneys answering