If a IL CDL holder gets a violation for not having logbooks in TN, AK, plus vehicle being over 2000lbs, will he get points?

Asked 9 months ago - Chicago, IL

One of my CDL drivers got a ticket for not having last seven days logbooks, plus in TN, the freight shifted and he was over 2000 lbs on axle 2 - will he get any points on his CDL and if so, is IL DMV in charge for assigning these points?

1. Ted Harvatin

Pro

2

1

Answered . Your driver should be ok but to be safe, call SOS Driver Services. They are the ones who load the driving records and send in reports to the fed government. Start at 217 524-1350. They ought to be able to steer you to the right place.

2. Ryan W Cummings

Pro

2

1

Answered . Generally speaking there may be a couple of issues here. As far as the "points" are considered, generally the State that issued the DL is in charge of assessing points to the Driver's license. For instance, I am an Arizona driver and if I get a ticket in California, AZ may assess points to my driver's license for the ticket. So, the CDL driver may get points.

Also, I believe CDL holders also have a national point system which builds points for different violations which can incur costs for insurance purposes.

3. Martin Samuel Lascola

Pro

Answered . Definitely call the CDL help desk with the IL Secretary of State. I believe Mr. Harvatin provided that number in his response. They know all the ramifications of tickets both in and out of state. www.schaumburglegalservices.com