If a home is in a trust and is sold prior to the trustees death, where do the proceeds of the sale of the home go?

Palm Beach, FL |

There are 3 beneficiaries (we believe) that are in the trust.
One person holds a durable power of attorney
POA refuses to show copy of trust to the two remaining beneficiaries

1. Is the grantor also the trustee? If so-can do whatever he wants with proceeds.
    If someone else is acting trustee-the proceeds would go in the trust.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

2. The proceeds would normally go to the trust, although I agree with Mr. Pippen, that if it is the Grantor selling the property, the proceeds can go wherever he/she wishes.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

3. The POA has nothing to do with the trust unless they are also the trustee. The property will most likely remain in the trust, unless the trust is revocable and the settlor is still alive - in which case, they can pretty much do what they want. Again, if the trust is a testamentary trust and the settlor is still alive, you don't really have a right to see the trust. You will get a full accounting when the trust takes effect and you are receiving distributions.

Carol Johnson Law Firm, P.A. : (727) 647-6645 : carol@caroljohnsonlaw.com : Wills, Trusts, Real Property, Probate, Special Needs: Information provided here is anecdotal and should not be relied upon or considered legal advice. Every matter is different and answers given here are general in nature and may not reflect current Florida law at the time you are reading this posting. Please contact me if you feel you need additional assistance with your matter.

4. Generally any sale of property by a trust would have the proceeds payable to the trust. If it is an irrevocable trust, then they must be paid into the trust. If it is a grantor or other revocable trust, then the grantor has the power to withdraw all the trust assets and the proceeds of the sale of any trust assets. If the trustee of a revocable/grantor trust is NOT the grantor/creator of the trust, the the death of this trustee makes no difference on where proceeds go, the grantor still controls it. Until the trust becomes irrevocable, if it isn't already, then the grantor controls who get what information and also who the beneficiaries are or will be as the grantor can amend it at any time as long as they are mentally competent. Therefore, unless the grantor has died, or the trust otherwise became irrevocable making the the three beneficiaries actual beneficiaries not subject to change, then any contingently named beneficiaries have no claim to money, assets, or even information or a copy of the trust.
    One last thing you might consider doing is to contact the attorney that represented the creator of the trust. Express you interest in knowing if you have a right to a copy of the trust, and ask if you have any right to the assets or income of the trust. If you know who the attorney is, then you can save a lot of time and resolve your inquiries fairly quickly with a phone call.

Wills and estates topics